Saturday, March 10, 2007

Recovering



OK, that is obviously not me recovering from surgery, but I couldn't find a cute recovery picture other than that....and who couldn't fall in love with that cutie?

I made it home from the hospital around 6pm last night. The surgery lasted about 1.5 hours longer than planned, but I survived. I have 3 stab incision about 1 inch long, and one 4 inch long scar in my bikini line (previous c/section line actually) where they pulled the ovary and an another cyst they found out. The overy was pretty bad, the cyst INside it had pretty much killed it, and then they found a lime sized cyst ON it also. So, they went in and put both in a surgical bag to remove them, which is good, because the ovary ruptured on the way out. YIKES. That would have been a night or two stay in the hospital if it weren't contained in the bag. And yes, I know that because 10 years ago back in KS I had a grapefruit size cyst removed in emergency surgery and the damn surgeon didn't put it in a bag and it ruptured....3 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics. Anyway, back to the present....He said it looked bad in there, and it was no wonder I had so much pain. He had to remove a portion of my abdominal wall or peritaneum as it is called because the endometriosis had hardened into almost fibrotic cysty types lumps...and tons of adhesions and endo on my bladder. Endometriosis or endo was found on my left kidney again as well. But most of the work needed was in the lower pelvis this time. He said I had a ton of adhesions from my c/section and from previous abdominal surgeries, so he removed all he could. I love this surgeon. He called me from home last night, with all 3 of his kids in the background just to make sure I was ok and to fill me in since I was too groggy by the time he had to leave the hospital yesterday (he still had office hours to do!). All in all I am doing well....my throat hurt like an SOB last night, better today. The pain is managable with pain pills...hard to sleep. Finally at 3 am I just got up and came and sat in the recliner reading. I noticed I was nodding off, so I turned off the light and was able to get 3 hours straight of sleep...where as in the bed I woke up every hour. So, at least I found a way to rest! The incisions are still covered, but he said there weren't any external sutures, he did all the sewing on the inside of the incision and used skin glue to finish it off. This means little scarring...not that I will every need a bikini or anything! YIKES. OK, I guess the pain meds are making me too chatty so I had better get off here before Matthew wakes up and see if I can get showered first. Thank you for your well wishes everyone....family, friens and bloggers!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Meds are your friends! And that poor baby! Looks so sad.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

Yikes! I didn't know you were dealing with all this!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home