Friday, September 22, 2006

PSA regarding new TMX Elmo

OK, just venting here for a second. The new Tickle Me Elmo/TMX looks awesome. I won't deny that. I wish Matthew was still little enough to be interested (not that it would matter, as I have heard they are sold out already and going for $200 on the "black market"). But, this is where I get angry.

I have a neice with a seizure disorder. I participate on a forum at Epilepsy Foundation of America, and it has been noted by many parents that the new Elmo is bringing out unflattering seizure references. Good Morning America and The Today Show both had a segment about Elmo. Both made rude references to it looking like Elmo was having a seizure. In several instances, children who have epilepsy/seizure disorders heard this. It hurts their feelings. Many times these children have no idea what it looks like when someone has a seizure. They don't realize what happens to them during a seizure. So, these adults making these references without thinking first need to stop and realize this: How would you feel if your child had a seizure disorder and someone made a comment like this? How would you feel if your child over heard this? Stop and think.

If you want to learn more about epilepsy, which affects 2.7 million Americans with 181,000 new cases every year, go here. Thank you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Good point.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Poor kids :(

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Thanks for the info. People are really rude. I still want a Elmo...I mean my son does.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Thanks for the info. People can be so thoughtless.

9:45 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony said...

That is harsh. The problem is that people don't think before they speak. I've been quitly of it myself.

Thanks for the link to more information.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Good point. Very good point.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home