Thursday, May 11, 2006

Kindergarten Round-Up

We made it through kindergarten round-up yesterday with flying colors! Matthew had such a great time. It was so cute to watch him. The teachers and administration would come up to meet him and kneal down to his level, and he would get all serious and stick out his hand to shake theirs and introduce himself. He did great! He went off with the other kids to the kindergarten class to do a project: they learned all about how carrots grow tall like them, then they planted a carrot in a styrofoam cup to bring home. During this time, the parents of course were doing the enrollment process and speaking to the school nurse and special resources team. I was a bit confused at the end because they didn't ask for money.......I grew up in Kansas and remember my parents having to buy workbooks. Pay book rentals and enrollment fees. So, I approached the principal shortly before the children were due to return from the classroom to ask if there was a FINAL enrollment date in late August/early September (school starts Setp. 19th here) so we can pay. She gave me a big hug and blessed me and said if I wanted to pay for books I could surely donate, but that in Connecticut, school is 100% free except for lunches. HOLY COW. No wonder our taxes are so high! LOL>my mom couldn't get over it either. So, all in all it was a fun morning! Matthew is absolutely ready for kindergarten and pumped up. So good to see that! I hope it remains that way as he gets older as I loved school and hope he does too!

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

That is fantastic. Our taxes are ridiculous and yet each student is given a list of things they need to buy that go in the classroom (Kleenex, paper towels even...). It is so nauseating. I guess when you live in the most corrupt state in the US, you have to deal with that.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

That's wonderful. What a great time in both of your lives!

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home