Friday, May 12, 2006

Life got in the way...

Life did get in the way. Does that sound like an excuse? I suppose it could be perceived as an excuse to many. The picture is the only picture I have of MY grandmother Dorothy with Matthew (he was 6 months old). We had gone home to Kansas for a visit, the first one since Matthew was born. We spent only one night at her home, a fact that will haunt me forever. We had so many people to visit, a family wedding, the excuses piled up. The truth is that my Grandmother wasn't a happy person. She tried to be, but life wasn't kind to her in many ways. I went out of my way to keep in touch with her though, and many family members didn't they will openly admit, so for that I will always be grateful. That was the last time I saw my Grandmother. Life got in the way and we didn't make another trip home for4 long years. I kept saying we were going to make it home, but it never happened. I will always regret that. I am thankful I have this picture of the two of them together. Grandma passed away near Thanksgiving two years ago. As far as we can piece together, she got ready for bed, put on her housecoat and sat in her favorite recliner to watch the nightly news. That is where my aunt found her at lunch time the next day. She obviously went peacfully. Probably just fell asleep and never woke up. My aunt eased some of my grief when she told me that my Grandmother was holding the last letter I wrote her in her hands, so I was on her mind. I am tearful now just thinking of that. I had been saying for weeks that I needed to call her, but life got in the way and it was always too late to call her that night. Then I never got the chance. I am missing her terribly tonight, no particular reason, nothing sparked it, just this terrible saddness in my heart. So, to all of you who read this: Take the time to call your grandparents and parents. Even if it isn't always on your list of favorite things to do. Don't let life get in the way....you may never get the chance again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

It is very easy to let time go by without doing what matters most. I loved this post.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

thank you for sharing that.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thank you for the reminder. What a great post.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home